Saturday, January 19, 2008

The Amazing Trocks!

On Thursday I was invited to attend a one-night-only performance of Ballet de Trockadero De Montecarlo. The event was a benefit for the AIDS Foundation of Chicago, an organization that we (Das Foods) support (10% of our net profits are donated to help fight AIDS in the US and abroad).
As I was getting ready to make my 50 min trip downtown Chicago I was sort of overcome by an inertia that is so familiar to many of us: first when you're invited to an event (usually at least a week in advance) you're excited and look forward to it. As the event grows closer, enthusiasm usually evaporates, slowly giving way to irritation at self (" i.e. "I wish I did not commit to this- now I have to dress up and schlep all the way in this cold") kind of thoughts. I went anyway and, boy, I wasn't disappointed! Trocks (as they are commonly known) are a real TREAT! First of all, it is a classical ballet group which is comprised of all men who dance in drag. Secondly, every single performer is tremendously graceful, talented and true to the essence of strict classical ballet style that is so familiar to many of us. Finally, they're hilarious and make fun of classical Russian "stuck up" stile every opportunity they get on stage. I had a blast!
Check out for yourself! Click here to watch their hilarious Swan Lake Part I. I love their facial expressions!
Click Here to visit Trock's home page- many more delights await you there :)

No comments: