Monday, August 20, 2007

Because I am a girl....

... I am constantly worried about my weight. shopping has long become a treasure hunt in what I can eat "for free" i.e. without spending any precious "Weight Watchers" points. So I thought I'd post a list of all foods that I love that have very little points:

1. Crunchy and delicous Indian Papadams: they're sort of like wafers, but typically savory and spicy. So full of flavor and yet so less calories (perhaps 80-90 depending on the brand). Be sure to microwave them: some Indian cookbooks recommend deep-frying which clearly adds a load more calories

2. Trader Joe's High Fiber Cereal: 2/3 cup for 90 calories and 7g fiber/serving. It also has great little pieces of dried fruit and even nuts!
3. Low Fat Vegetarian Black Bean Soup from Panera : 1-8 oz serving - 160 cal, 11 grams fiber
4. Dannon plain fat free yogurt: serving- 1 cup, 110 cal, tons of calcium and you can flavor it with anything you want.
5. TLC Original 7 grain crackers: 15 crackers/serving, 130 calories, 30 from fat, 2 g. fiber.
6. Carrots and Hummus (I make my own, but Athenos Hummus has approx 50 cal/2 tbsp)
7. Fresh fruit (Apples- 65 cal/1 cup serving 3 g fiber, Bananas - 200 cal/cup, 5.8g fiber)
8. Pumpernickel Bread: (68 cal) + fat free salmon cream cheese (fat free cream cheese is about 15 cal/1 tbsp+ 1 oz of smoked salmon 33 calories/serving)
9. Fat Free Farmer's Cheese, e.g. Lifeway: 25 calories/2 tbsp. You can also use fat free cottage cheese instead, but the texture of it is slightly different
10. Vegetables and Salads. My favorite salad is just a garden salad: any greens (the darker the better), tomatoes, cucumbers, red onions, snap peas, whatever. Drizzle or spray with olive oil, vinegar (use fruit vinegars or red/white wine will do) and season with salt/pepper. Enjoy the salad with selection #8

No comments: