Thursday, August 23, 2007

Girls Gone Mild


Today I heard a very interesting interview on Chicago NPR Station: it was interview with Wendy Shalit , the author of the recent book "Girls Gone Mild". In short it is about the emerging modesty movement among girls, which is often driven not by the religious values but by their desire to live dignified life.

Now this topic is near and dear to my heart since heiress Das just turned 16 and so far has behaved very well. She is a true "Girl Gone Mild" which makes me very proud. As I was listening to the radio debate today I realized that to the large extent the path to "Mild" typically start at home, and it is parent's job to ensure that they stay involved and pay attention to what is going on in children's life. Not just nod or agree with everything they say because it's easier or because "we're too tired to argue" or, perhaps, because " my parents were very strict so I will give my child a longer leash no matter what". It is our job to be their parent, not their friend (they have many already!).

Here is the link to the full interview with Wendy Shalit : enjoy!
What do you think about the modesty movement: is it here to stay?

No comments: