Tuesday, August 14, 2007

Salt Story Necklace


Sometimes it feels like this business is one big party where I meet wonderful and gifted people that I otherwise would have never known!
For example, my new customer Karen McGovern has created this beautiful Story Necklace. She's handmade all the beads and pendants from polymer clay, and there are two bowls from antique sterling silver salt spoons in the design. The salt is inside recycled glass perfume sample bottles. With this necklace she's included a "story book" about the history of salt, folklore, and legend. She also included a wonderful poem about salt and it is on the cover of the story book:
This salt in the salt cellar
I once saw in the salt mines.
I know you won'tbelieve me,
but it sings, salt sings,
the skin of the salt mines sings
with a mouth smothered by the earth.
I shivered in those solitudes
when I heard the voice of the salt in the desert.
Near Antofagasta the nitrous pampa resounds:
a broken voice,
a mournful song
This series of art jewelry is called "Spice of Life" and this necklace is called "Salt of the Earth". I am making a matching ring, and perhaps bracelet using smaller glass vials, etc. Unfortunately, the necklace is already sold, and will be displayed in one of two galleries Karen work with (Gallery 50, http://www.gallery50.com/, or WildChild Gallery, http://www.wildchildgallery.com/).

1 comment:

Dana said...

Hi, I randomly found your blog because we share some of the same interests. I thought you would be interested in checking mine out!

It's a blog discussing women's health and fitness, check it out! :)

http://asizableapple.blogspot.com