Thursday, August 16, 2007

Making caramels at our new facility!- Entreprenural Saga, Chapter 2

Tomorrow is our "official" start up at the new facility: I am extremely excited but also scared since I know from multitude of my previous experiences that there are SO many things that can (and undoubtedly will) go awry.
The wrapping machine (named Steve- see my prev. posting) is not going to be up and running until next week. However, even before we start wrapping the caramels, I need to ensure we can actually making using our new equipment.
Typically, the best way to make caramels is to use copper kettle- a candy stove (below) Copper is a great heat conductor and the caramel mix cooks quickly and thoroughly. It also looks great: check out the faux antique "lion paw" legs!

The other essential piece of equipment that is necessary for caramel production is a cooling table. It is a steel table with water pipes running under it and is used for cooling the caramel quickly so that it's ready for cutting and wrapping.

Finally, caramels are wrapped and packaged in neat little boxes
I can't wait until tomorrow: I think we'll emerge victorious! More later....

No comments: